Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Week 16

Wow! There is so much I want to say and not enough time! I will start by saying it was so good to see you all on Christmas. Right as you came on the screen my heart filled with so much joy and happiness. I love you all so much! It was so good to talk and see your faces again.

The day after Christmas, Monday, was Boxing day. The mission president told us we had the whole day off. Elder Donavon and I got on a bus and took a small trip to the village of Arbroath! What a dream! I was able to see the town that my ancestors came from! It is a small fishing town. We were going to go to a place named Gowan Brye but sadly we did not have enough time so we just toured as much as Arbroath as we could. We were able to see the harbor. The cliffs that over look the North sea. The old ruined Arbroath abbey. The beach. We went to Keptie pond. We visited the lighthouse. When I looked out over the city I got a feeling that I had never felt before. It was if I felt like I was at home. It felt like I belong here. I felt like I knew where every good chippy was. I seemed to know all the back roads. When we were walking to the abbey, we were also at the same time trying to find the bus station. Elder Donavon said "we are going to miss our bus!" I told him, "we're fine trust me."  I walked in this back alley not even knowing where I was going and we found the bus station. It was such a cool experience! That day was a dream come true.

On Tuesday we taught this girl named M**. She is so awesome! She lives in Wormit. We challenged her to a baptismal date. Sadly we will have to give her to the other Elders. She does not live in our area. She is so awesome.

On Friday we taught D*** and C****. We had a great lesson. They felt the spirit. I pray that it will all work out for them.

Saturday was amazing! We were doing missionary work until 6:00 that night. When we were in the downtown part of Dundee we saw these huge St. Bernard dogs. I swear they were the largest and laziest dogs I have ever seen! We then went to the Bishop Keogh's for our missionary New Year's Eve party! We had a great tea. After tea we played a lot of fun games! I was the highlight in one of the games we played. Now every single family member thinks they have to try and re-inact what I did. I'll have to admit it was pretty funny! Also that morning in personal study I was reading in the 1st chapter of 4 Nephi and found so much from verses 12-17. I realized that this mission is already four months done! This has been my dream since I was a wee little boy. Now, it's just flying by! While thinking about this it made me so much more want to be the best missionary I can be. I am trying my absolute best to be the most exact obedient missionary I can be! I have been so happy recently. Whatever happens to me, I don't care. I am living a higher law now.

Sunday! what a great day! 2017! This was another day we had off. We first went to church and had a great church service. Then the Bishop invited us to come over to there house again to play games. We got to play Fifa! I beat Josh 3-0!! Put the crown on my head!

We also had 5 tea appointments this past week with members in my new ward! At one home we had some steak pies. They were super good! At the Williams we played this really stupid game where they blind folded all of us missionaries and then made us eat weird foods! I ate and swallowed a entire pickled onion... I swear I wanted to throw up. It was so gross. Then in the middle of playing this game we got a phone call from our zone leader, Elder Calton. He told us because of new circumstances we would need to pack our bags that night and move to a new flat? To make a long story short two new AP's were called. And because of this we had to change from our flat to the sisters flat. And the Sisters are moving to our flat. These two new AP's are now also going to be living in Dundee. We went home and packed up our stuff. I am going to miss my first home. I am going to miss looking at the city at night. I am going to miss the smells and all of the noises. I will miss everything about my first home.

Monday! what a legendary day. This was our last day to have off. In the morning we moved flats. I am going to miss not being able to walk to the city everyday. But on a positive note, the new flat is one of the nicest flats in the mission! I have no idea what to do with all this new space! It is crazy. It is so big and so nice. and we have a good view of the Tay river and the Tay bridge. The kingdom of fife. It is so beautiful! We will get to watch the sunrise every morning.

Then we went to St Andrew's and spent the whole day there! We visited some of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. We went back to the Old course and got more pictures on the Swally bridge. After that we went and got some burgers at this burger place which reminded me a lot of haunted hamburger in Jerome! After that we went to the most amazing thing ever. We went to St Andrews Cathedral! This place was absolutely amazing. It is half torn down but it was so massive and so beautiful! I couldn't believe some of the things I was seeing. I forgot my camera but hopefully I will get you pics soon. I can only imagine what it was like when it was still fully intact. So beautiful. After the Cathedral we went and looked at St Andrews Castle! This castle is also half torn down... It was so cool to look at when we went down by the beach and looked back up at it. After all this we went to the pier. The Pier jets out far into the ocean. The waves would constantly crash up against wall where we stood. It really was a special day. I was able to see some of the culture here in Scotland! At the end of the day we had some of the best vanilla ice cream you will ever taste. That night we slept at Elder Calton's flat because he is alone. Our other Zone leader was transferred to Glasgow. All because of the two new AP's that were called. The two new AP's basically changed the entire mission.

I have loved these past two weeks. We have made some precious memories! I love being a missionary. It is so much fun. I am loving it! This transfer goes until the end of January. So I will still have at least a month here in Dundee. I love it!

Here is my new mailing address:
12 Dock Street Flat 5
Dundee, Scotland
DD1 4BT

I love you all!
Elder Gowans








No comments:

Post a Comment